Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Too Many Layers

The weather here can get pretty chilly, a few days down right cold. So when you get dressed to tee off at 8:30AM you layer yourself up. Some days "up" is four pieces of clothing on top and two below. Then as the day progresses and it warms up the layers start coming off. It is a real eye opener to realize how much better you can play without all those clothes. My swing is a lot less restricted in a short sleeved shirt than it was on the first tee with a shirt, two sweaters and a jacket.
Kinda like life, don't you think? The more layers of the outside world I peel off the less restricted I am in my walk to get closer to my Maker. Attachments are a lot like two sweaters and a jacket. So look around and see if there aren't some attitudes, grudges, some little worries that can be shed. We don't have to start with anything big and heavy...just start. Once we start peeling off some of those attitudes we don't need the easier it is to clear our minds and start focusing on hearing that small still voice in our ear. Find a quiet spot, get comfortable, look into your thoughts and find that first little worry, or maybe somebody did some little act to tick you off a bit. Lay them aside...they aren't that important...will you even remember them in a year. Then say a thank you prayer, take a breath, feel a little lighter, a little less restricted. Maybe one more little worry before you get up...

1 comment:

Praised Grace said...

My walk with Christ has done that for me. I have shed layers of regrets, unforgiveness, selfishnesss, and worries. Christ Alone did this for me when I finally took time to listen for that still quiet voice.