Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Beauty sustains me in challenging times." p. 117, Walk in A Relaxed Manner by Joyce Rupp

Boy, am I in a golf slump right now or what? Maybe five or six really sound shots a round. Discouraging to say the least. Cannot drive, poor second shots, no short game and putting is a whole 'nother blog! I am wondering why I should make the effort (plus the expense) to go out to play tomorrow.
Then I read the chapter which held the above quote. Rupp is on a pilgrimage in Spain, I am only dealing with a game.
So, what do I find beautiful about golf. First the friends. Even though the golf has been stinky, the ladies have been so much fun. During this down phase the women I have been paired with have been delightful, funny and understanding. Second, the incredible landscape in which our course is placed. Huge blue desert skies. Huge mountains, huge views. Third, great weather. Chilly when we tee off, yet a finish in gentle warmth. Fourth, clean, healthy air to breathe. Beauty abounds.
One of my best friend's husband is going through some serious health problems right now. Yet the humor in his voice and the love that shines through her e-mail updates is beautiful. My challenge is nothing compared to theirs.
God has surrounded me with beauty. It shows up first in friends and family.
Doctor visit later this morning for follow up on routine tests. Have you fellows had your annual blood work done?? Ladies, all those tests we need each year, have you scheduled them yet? It's a new year, how long has it been since your last check-up? Get it done!!

No comments: