Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Seek The Kingdom

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

OK, so how do you seek the kingdom at the golf course? How do you see the kingdom at the golf course? Can you find the kingdom at the golf course? Is the kingdom at the golf course?
You drive through the gate, use the big parking lot of asphalt to park the car. Pass through the entrance hall, go down the steps next to the dining room, then around the corner into the locker room, get your golf shoes on and then proceed to the pro shop. Now, get the cart with your clubs, go to the hill where the practice range is, loosen up by hitting some shots with your seven iron. Back in the cart, ride to the first tee, play your round of golf. Finish round, back to the pro shop to record your score, locker room, shoes off, dining room, lunch, parking lot, car, home.
So where is this kingdom in all of this? How do I see it, find it?
You could substitute grocery store, school, office, church, movies, restaurant, anything you want for golf course. So how do you see it? I can only tell you how I have started trying. The key to me is in the next chapter of Matthew, 7:3-4. I have to get the plank out of my eye so I can see. My plank is my ego. The kingdom is where God rules, not my self will or big ego. God's rule is love. I need to start seeing all the places I go, situations I am in, people I am around, through eyes that are clear. Eyes that see with love. All acts I perform need to be done in loving kindness. The more I see with eyes of love, the more I do with loving kindness, the closer I get to perceiving the world around me as the Kingdom of God. God's rule without the interference of me, me, me and my will.
It is slow work, but with the help of the Holy Spirit who is always there, it can be done. It will be done.

No comments: