Sunday, October 12, 2008

...that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. John 17:21

I love most golf courses. I find the diversity interesting. Some are green, hilly with lots of trees. Some are brown, flat and treeless. Some are a mix of those pieces and parts of nature. They all have sand traps, greens for putting, tees for driving, paths and trails. I love most churches. I love mine most of the time. Sometimes I am let down and sometimes lifted up until I seem to soar.
Today, after church, I have been reading A.W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God, The Human Thirst for The Divine. On page thirty-six he wrote the best words I think I have ever come across about church and the church. I'll let him tell you what I feel.
"The world is perishing for lack of the knowledge of God and the Church is famishing for want of his presence. The instant cure of most of our religious ills would be to enter the Presence in spiritual experience, to become suddenly aware that we are in God and God is in us. This would lift us out of our pitiful narrowness and cause our hearts to be enlarged. This would burn away the impurities from our lives as the bugs and fungi were burned away by the fire that dwelt in the bush".

3 comments:

wayfarerjon said...

This is a magnificent quotation, which moves my spirit. I need my heart enlarging too!

By the way, I never did get on with golf - perhaps a lack of concentration. But your description 'sand traps, greens for putting, tees for driving, paths and trails.' would make a terrific basis for a devotional? Altho' perhaps you already have?

Lucinda said...

Thank you, I have done devotionals on pieces of my description. Now I will look to put all together as one!

Anonymous said...

First time visiting your site. I really like how you have blended the sport of Kings with the King of Kings.lol I'll be back soon and thank you for the positive message you are providing