Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Lacking Wisdom??

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5

No golf planned today, so I thought I would tell you about some of my favorite reads. Well, I guess I can stick in some golf. Before you putt (see yesterday's blog) you have to gather some knowledge. You look for rises or ridges between your ball and the hole, which way does the grain of the grass lay, any divots in your line. Then you take this knowledge and decide which way your ball is going to roll, how hard to hit it. Then you act. After years of doing this you should become wise in the way to putt. Notice the word "should"! My friend Judy would point out to you that all my knowledge, accumulated over many years of golfing, has not put me anywhere near wise.
I love to read, to gather knowledge. I especially love books and publications about spirituality. I noticed this morning an ad for GuidepostMag.com in that Google thingy over there on the right side. Well, that reminded me of a great publication I read, Weavings. I just received my May/June copy. I haven't read it yet, however, I can tell you I won't be disappointed. This one is about "Many Gifts". Each journal has 8 to 10 contributors and they are always thought provoking. You can find the subscription site at http://www.weavings.org/.
Kathleen Norris has written three books that are excellent. Dakota:A Spiritual Geography, The Cloister Walk, and Amazing Grace. I especially love the last two. Amazing Grace is about the vocabulary of religion that can be a roadblock to some of us.
As Peter says in 2Peter 1:5-6 add knowledge to your faith and goodness. As you gather knowledge and contemplate it, meditate over it, pray about it, God will lead you into wisdom. Our Creator will give it generously.
It may take some of us longer to become wise, but we ought not to give up. Ask God to lead you to the right source for your walk. It's out there. Every time I go into my favorite used bookstore a book usually shouts out to me "here I am, buy me!". You'd be amazed how often a book cover will draw your eye, while you miss the ones meant for someone else.
Feed your spirit, there are plenty of resources out there. Go to it.

No comments: