Friday, April 25, 2008

Strengthen me

"encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word." 2Thessalonians 3:17

I am home. I arrived Wednesday about noon to a loving husband and two happy dogs. My time with my friends was beautiful. We talked until we were worn out and then we talked some more. So when I got home I was very grateful to have a husband who encouraged me to relax and slow down. He fixed lunch, listened to my tales and then let me sit and ponder for a while. That was nice.
Yesterday, after doing the wash and some straightening, I headed to the course to hit some practice balls. Did I tell you it was windy? The weather report used the word breezy, I think they were trying to be nice. When I got up on the practice tee the wind was blowing so hard my sunglasses blew off my visor. Since it had been over ten days since I had practiced I decided to hit some balls anyway. When you play in the wind you have to hold steady and get your balance from the strength in your legs. You have to have a firm foundation, yet you cannot fight the wind. It is like a flow coming out of a solid foundation. You gage where the wind is coming from and adjust your aim. You also get a lot of sand and dirt in your hair! The better your swing is, the closer to the ideal swing, the better you can hit in the wind. If your swing is in the groove, the right path, the strength of your foundation will sustain you.
Through the fellowship of our retreat we gathered to us God's grace and strength. We filled ourselves with knowledge, wisdom and love. We gathered the"eternal encouragement and good hope" also mentioned in verse 17. When we are faced with life, our words and deeds will be enhanced as we look for the good. As we look for the correct path (as in grooving my swing) we will be strengthened and encouraged by the ideas, conversations, wisdom and love we found God infilling us with.
Out of the strength of our foundation, we can face the wind of life. We can aim for the good and flow with our Creator's love and eternal encouragement.

No comments: