Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Vast expanses

Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth? Tell me if you know all this. Job 38:18

We are home. Home to the desert. Home to the mountains. It was a great trip. The sea was calm and I did not get sea sick !! We saw some beautiful places and met some very nice people.
On this trip I was able to spend quite a large chunk of time on the deck watching the sea. I had my books with me, so I could read and then look out to sea, pondering and praying. I love vast expanses for pondering time. I grew up in Missouri surrounded by trees and hills. There were beautiful views, many actually breathtaking, but not the vast expanses of the ocean or my desert/mountain views.
I don't completely understand how this expansion of view can work so gloriously on my soul, but it sure does. I think as I look out over the sea or the spread of the desert or survey the huge mountains I register a feeling of the wonder of all the different types of vastness God created. They are so different. Then I look up at the sky and see another vast wonder. It is all made of the same physical waves and particles, but it is made visible to us in such different forms. Sky, mountains, desert, sea...me. When I let that work around and settle into my soul I become so peaceful.
It's a beautiful creation, made for us to ponder. Made for us to see. Made for us to take into our hearts and then expand ourselves. Stretch our love and peace and calm and prayers out over the whole of creation. Spread ourselves thin as we expand our love to cover all the vastness of God's creation.

No comments: