Monday, March 3, 2008

The Chair

The Lord Almighty is with us;...

Be still, and know that I am God;

Psalm 46:7,10



OK, so the golf wasn't really too good. Maybe I let a little potty mouth word slip out. Smiling, my husband suggested I should spend some time in my study chair when we get home. Sometimes I react somewhat harshly to a problem or a situation or a word. (Love those words little and somewhat, my family might add some others !). When I have one of those reactions someone usually smiles and suggests the Chair. My friends refer to it as my prayer chair. "Can you go to the prayer chair for this or that?" they call and ask. My chair, on the sun porch, is my place of refuge, study, all sorts of prayer. I can do these things other places, and do, but it is my favorite and most peaceful place.

The first time someone suggested I needed to go to my chair, I was mildly insulted and hurt. "What do you mean, go to my chair? I'm fine, you are the one who made me mad. You are the one who started this." Now I know they are aware I have lost my peace, my reserve of calm, and I need to gather it back. Plus, now they say it with a smile and I know they believe in the interior work I do in my chair. Usually I send myself to my chair.

My chair is a place to be still, to listen for God. To empty myself of those reactions. To gather my peace. It is also the place I read all those books God has put in my way, to study the Word. To pray.

Do you have a place? If not, I highly suggest you carve one out. A chair, a step or spot on the deck, a corner of the couch. If the rooms are too busy or noisy at your house and you cannot leave the family, go into the closet and shut the door. I've done that before! Get a pillow and sit on the floor in that closet. Just find a place you can spend some time listening, reading, praying. You don't have to start with a long strech of time or a long list of reactions. Just let God know you are there, waiting. The Lord Almighty is with you already.

No comments: