Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Forgiveness

You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call on you. Psalm 86:5

Computer connection has been down until now! However, golf was on yesterday. Well maybe not on, as in on target or on the spot, just on like I was there. Had some great shots and putts, had some average shots and putts...had some....need I say more. All was not beautiful in golf land yesterday. Just about the time I think I have it all together, up comes a really stinky shot. Just cruising along thinking I'm ready for the tour (Judy will holler at that) when wham, here comes the swing that looks like a windmill at 40 knots. I could make you cry over some of my putts, you would feel so sorry for me! I feel so sorry for myself. Then sorry is not enough, the old temper jumps up and bites. Then I get mad at myself, and start to fume...then...well I might as well pack it in to the club house, because I cannot forget the last shot or last hole. The more I beat myself up, the worse the situation gets.

We have been talking about getting rid of some of our divots, repairing some of our faults. Well, one of the first things we have to do as we look at our life is forgive ourselves. As we look closely at the mistakes we have made, sins we have let into our lives, stupid things that we have done, we have to realize that we are human. We are going to do dumb things, we are going to sin whether we like it or not. But, we cannot dwell on them. We cannot let them mess with our minds, like a bad golf shot, so much that they effect our next move. We have to forgive ourselves, ask God for forgiveness, and then move on. Not nearly as easy as it sounds, but doable. We are made in God's image. God is forgiving, loving and good. We can be forgiving, loving and good. When we forgive ourselves, love ourselves, then we can move on knowing we are alright to take the next shot. Once you forgive...forget. Pick up your bag and play on.

No comments: