Thursday, March 27, 2008

Grumble,Grumble, Grumble

"...for he has heard your grumbling." Exodus 16:9

I love the word grumble. It is fun to say over and over. It is a word that hits the spot. You can feel it in your belly. I remember the first time I read Exodus 16 and found the grumbling Israelites. I think it was one of the first times the Bible really became real to me, really spoke to me. These people grumbled, that really struck me. They were so blessed, yet they grumbled. Go read the chapter. Now... do you grumble like that? Put your name in place of theirs and read it. "In the desert Lucinda grumbled."
In the airport, Lucinda grumbled...when she got home, Lucinda grumbled...when she saw the dirty clothes pile, Lucinda grumbled...when she thought about leaving again in two days for another week long trip, Lucinda grumbled. NO GOLF for two weeks...Lucinda GRUMBLED. What an ungrateful person.
I am so blessed. I was free to go visit family who lives a continent away. I spent wonderful time with them. I came home to three dogs and a husband who missed me. I have a home and things to get dusty and messed up. I get to go on a cruise for one week. I am healthy and have time to play golf. I have a church and great friends. What is my problem ??? Why in the world do I grumble? Because I get so wrapped up in all of the afore mentioned "stuff" that I forget where it all comes from. I am a grumbly Israelite.
So what do I do. Just what I did this morning...I got out the Bible and read Exodus 16. Now all day today I will ask myself..."Do you want to be a grumbly Israelite? No? Then start praising God for all the blessing that have flowed to you." And I do and will.

No comments: