Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Live A Life Of Love

Be imitators of love, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us...Ephesians 5:2

I did it and all is well. After 7 weeks of no golf I was back on the course yesterday and it was great. Better score than I expected to post, beautiful day, a fun format for some team play and a really gracious group with which to play.
I guess gracious sounds like a funny word to apply to a golf foresome, but golf can be a gracious and polite sport. When you are a young tike learning to play, part of the lessons always involve golf etiquette. How to treat the course, how to comport yourself on the course. From the beginning you are taught to stand still and be quiet when someone else is hitting the ball, don't step on the green in the line between your opponents ball and the hole, the golfer with the farthest distance to the whole hits next. In friendly, weekly golf matches some rules are put aside in the effort for speedier play; ready-up golf so to speak, but only after everyone agrees on it. Many rules are sort of a do unto others type thing. You don't want people yelling while you are trying to concentrate on a birdy putt, you don't want a big foot print in the green to throw your ball off line...so on and so forth.
I was reminded this morning in my devotional time that there is a difference between living in the Kingdom and living in the real, natural world. I am one that believes that the Kingdom is here, all around us. That there is a way to live my life that is closer to the Kingdom, than if I just do exactly what my ego tells me to do. Seems to me that Ephesians 4:17 through 5:21 makes for a great rule and etiquette book on how to live closer to the kingdom and how to live a "life of love".
Like new golfers we need to have a guideline on how to play the game so as to enjoy it and then spread the joy. We have to start small and try to remember one "rule" at a time.
Go ahead, reread these verses and pick one to start on today. I'm working on 4: 32...Be kind and compassionate to one another...I'm going to mindfully try to "do no harm". Be a blessing to someone today. Let me know how it goes.

No comments: