Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Pain In The Back

Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty. Job 5:17



Cannot play golf today because my back is having spasms. I strained it last week leaning over to move something heavy out of the way. I know I made my back vulnerable by driving over 7,000 miles in four weeks. All that sitting and the stress that settles in your lower back can only cause you problems.

Now, I didn't chose that Bible passage because I think that God smote me in the back. I think the Creator fashioned this human body I live in and God made it so that, with the choices of free will, I can take care of it or harm it. My pain is the indication that I did not treat it well. Same with my life. If I make the wrong choices, I usually see it in some form and level of discomfort.

God corrects me by letting me feel some pain. I do not despise the pain in my back. I am relaxing it and stretching it out in a swimming pool. The Creator pulls me back with some discomfort, yet leads me to lay down the stress or problem and rest.

The quest is to live here on earth trusting that my Creator wants me feeling peace and joy and comfort. As the rest of the passage goes: his hands also heal.

No comments: